"You're too young to know what love is. You don't love me. You're infatuated with me." -- Sir Aric, The Prince's Knight

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Time to get serious

Whew! The holidays are over once again. That means it's time for me to start hitting the keyboard. I've got too many things whizzing around in my brain these days for me not to start seriously thinking about releasing them.

I'm working on getting an ISBN number for the print edition of Demon's Torment, but I have to buy a proof copy through Lulu first, so it will still be a little while yet before the print edition is available through Amazon. But reading through it again made me realize just how much I love this book. C'mon people! It's got a sexy demon who demands that Ally submit to him. What more could you want? I appreciate everyone that has supported me by picking up the electronic version, and the handful of people that have ordered the print edition. But I want a lot more people to experience this tormented demon. I think I'll be holding a contest in February--what better month to hold a contest for a romance novel, right? I'll be thinking up prize support during January, so check back here or on my website for all the details come February.

I've read through most of the books I ordered through Ellora's Cave last month during their special promotion. I've been really impressed with a few of them, not so much with others. But if you want to check out my thoughts and reviews on the books I've read, why not join Goodreads and add me as a friend? I love seeing what other people have read and looking for more ideas of books I'd like to check out. You wouldn't know it from looking at my list, but I haven't always been a fan of romance. My first love is fantasy, although lots of things have opened my eyes to show me just how many great books are out there. Just because you like a certain thing, don't close yourself off to other genres. You might miss out on something truly great.

My husband got me a new notebook for Christmas. As a writer I love notebooks...and brand new pens. It's a disturbing obsession really, but sometimes nothing beats an old fashioned pen and piece of paper, even if I do most of my writing on my computer these days. Still, this new notebook is heavy--made of some type of metal--and it's got a dragon engraved on the cover. Awesome, right? The perfect thing for a fantasy lover. I wasn't sure what I would write in it at first--of course I knew it would be a story of some type. I figured a paranormal one, since that's what I've been concentrating on lately. But as I was laying down to go to bed the other night, this first sentence just hit me. Wham! I couldn't believe it. I have trouble sleeping anyway, so I just had to get up and write it down before I forgot the exact wording. It was truly perfect you know. I wrote a few pages before going back to bed and that's how The Last Dragon was born. Just a few pages in, but I'm itching to write more, to find out more about Vrin, my main character. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

I guess I'm similar to quite a few writers. I feel as if stories are just out there, waiting for me to write them. If something comes easily to me, then it's meant to be. Demon's Torment was like that. I didn't really struggle over anything when it came to that book. I think that's why it's so good. I think even my mom enjoyed it, and she doesn't really like romance books. I hardly plot out anything that happens in my books. Sometimes when I'm stuck I'll sit down and try to map it out, usually when the middle of the story hits and it all seems uphill from there. But for now, as Vrin's story is just beginning, I'll just let my mind go and see where his actions take him. It's always exciting to start out on something new...probably the reason I have so many unfinished projects. The beginning is always the best part. Getting to know your new characters. Finding out what makes them tick. It's the best feeling in the world. Before you know it, they've wormed their way into your heart. And if you're good, and maybe a little lucky, your readers will love them too.

Well I think I'm going to spend the rest of the night getting back into the spirit of writing by visiting my old writing stomping grounds, Writing.com to clean out my porfolio and join a new critique group to really kick 2009 off right. Hopefully this year will be better than the last. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.

Comentários: